Can I upgrade my tow package aftermarket for my 2018 XT5 - Cadillac XT5 Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Can I upgrade my tow package aftermarket for my 2018 XT5

How can I upgrade my towing so I can get the max tow capacity of 3500. I have the 3.6 V6 engine. This engine says it will handle the load. I have found the appropriate Hitch, receiver and wiring needed.
1) Can this car handle the 3500 lb capacity it says it will?
2) Can I just add a transmission cooler and upgrade my alternator to 170ah.
3) Is there a software update that I can get from Cadillac service department.

Has anyone tried towing a trailer or boat after a 3rd party hitch upgrade to their XT5?
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 12:16 PM

^^^ditto on that. Our vehicles are nearly identical to the GMC Acadia with itís 4,000 lb tow capacity so I think 3,500 should be fine, IF equipped with the tow package. Importantly, the payload capacity is a whopping 1,700 to 1,900 lbs (which is more than some half-ton pickups) so the suspension is up to the task. The weak link is the unibody and hitch assembly attachment to it. Cadillacís hitch is limited to a paltry 350-lb load limit. This is really meant for no more than a large popup. So, I am thinking if one gets an aftermarket hitch, even if it is rated higher than 350-lb, that you limit the hitch load to only 350. Remember, unibody CUVs are really still cars, not full body-on-frame SUVs and not meant to pull/haul large trailers. Small pod type travel trailers and large popups OK. Anything heavier, need a truck with itís real frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac XT5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page