Coolant Temp Sensor - Cadillac XT5 Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Coolant Temp Sensor

I notice the cooling fans were running wide open on the wifes XT5. Also getting Attention required: steering assist reduced when stated. The coolant temp gauge also doesn't go up. Pulled a P0128 code. I think we have a bad coolant temp sensor. Does anyone know where it's at on this engine? Thanks!!!
HebrewHammer likes this.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2021, 02:26 PM
DJD

I do not know, but I hope someone replies soon because it is nearly impossible to find a solution to this online.
HebrewHammer likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2021, 08:53 PM
DJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ingebritson View Post
I notice the cooling fans were running wide open on the wifes XT5. Also getting Attention required: steering assist reduced when stated. The coolant temp gauge also doesn't go up. Pulled a P0128 code. I think we have a bad coolant temp sensor. Does anyone know where it's at on this engine? Thanks!!!
Found it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ECT Sensor (Front Engine).jpg (171.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg ECT Sensor (Top Engine).jpg (144.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg ECT Sensor Replacement.jpg (142.2 KB, 34 views)
HebrewHammer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2021, 08:06 PM

did it work? I just had a mechanic tell me $1900 for a new thermostat....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ingebritson View Post

My 2017 XT5 is experiencing the same issues and code. What was the resolution to the problem? Did you change the temp sensor? Change thermostat? Was it another part at fault? Car is out of warranty and I’m trying to avoid the dealer. Any additional help is greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2021, 11:56 AM

Ok, I have had similar issues. I thought my temp sensor was the issues because the dash would quit reading temp. The car dash would then light up steering assistance reduce. The fans then would come on high and the check engine would come on. I had my local mechanic shop replace the sensor ($850.00) It worked for two days. Then the same thing happened again. I hooked up my code reader and cleared the codes. With the code reader still attached i went to the data mode and drove 20 miles. The collant temp never got over 189°F. Then the coolant guage dropped all the way to cold again.
The thermostat is stuck open. So I will bite the bullet and get the Thermostat changed($350 parts $150 Labor. If you have a XT5 built in 2017 and you are not upside-down on the payments trade it in or sell it ro one of you enemies.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2022, 01:25 PM

If you are under 75,000 miles, this will be covered under the power train warranty.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2023, 12:26 AM

I know this is an old post, and may be old news by now, but the issue here is the thermostat 100%. I replaced my temp sender twice (once with a parts store part and again with a AC Delco) and it kept giving me issues.
I ordered a GM thermostat from an eBay seller because I couldn’t find a dealer online who had one in stock (May ‘23) for about $150. I replaced it myself and it took about 1.5hrs start to finish. Reused the coolant tube and o-rings and just topped of the fluid.
HebrewHammer likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2023, 08:26 PM

Hey @AWass - thanks for your post. This sheds a lot of light on the right fix for this!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2023, 05:03 PM

Does that matter if you’re not the original owner? I’m at 49k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac XT5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page