Aftermarket subwoofer placement - Cadillac XT5 Forum

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket subwoofer placement

Wondering if anyone has installed aftermarket subwoofers in their XT5 and had recommendations on placement. I have an XT5 Platinum with the 14 speaker Bose system. The factory system sounds great but I wanted a bit more bass. I went and had two 10" subwoofers professionally installed just a few days ago, but I noticed that the bass can barely be heard when my head is in its natural position while I'm driving. If I lean my head closer to the windshield, where my face is right at the steering wheel, it sounds perfect. But as soon as I lean back to my natural driving position, the bass gets very quiet. If I simply turn the bass up, it quickly starts sounding poor and becomes very noticeable outside the car. I'm not trying to be 'that guy' shaking my neighbors' houses. I can hear it differently when I try being in different positions - have the doors open vs closed, have the windows & sunroof open vs closed, etc. The subwoofers are installed in a box that is exactly the dimensions recommended by the manufacturer. They are also being pushed by an amplifier that is matched up by the manufacturer. I say this to point out that the system is built properly. And when I'm in the right position I can hear that it is definitely putting out adequate bass. I'm certainly no expert, but I am fairly knowledgeable about this stuff so I double checked their work and everything appears to be installed correctly. The only thing I can come up with is that it has something to do with the shape of vehicle interior that is directing the sound away from me. Am I way off with that? Being a high end Cadillac, I can see them designing the interior in a way that reduces noise to the driver. The subwoofer box is in the cargo area behind the back seat. I have tried positioning the box so that the subs are facing the back of the car, as well as laying the box down so they are facing up toward the ceiling. I did not notice any difference between the two. Does anyone have any experience where you can recommend how I can position the box so I can hear this bass better? Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide enough detail that someone would be able to provide a recommendation. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac XT5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page