Cadillac XT5 Receives Top Safety Pick+ Rating - Cadillac XT5 Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Cadillac XT5 Receives Top Safety Pick+ Rating

Cadillac’s new XT5 has been awarded the 2016 Top Safety Pick+ rating by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The IIHS won’t hand out this award to just any car, models that are awarded the Top Safety Pick+ rating needs to earn the highest rating possible in the small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests. Not only does it have to pass those tests, the vehicle needs to get an advanced or superior rating for front crash prevention systems.

In every crashworthiness test, the XT5 scored a ‘good’ rating and it received a superior rating with optional equipment in the crash avoidance and mitigation category. Sure, it scored an acceptable in terms of how easy the child seat anchors are to use but according to the IIHS full report, the XT5 can adequately protect its passengers in case of a crash.

After a small overlap front test, one of the harder tests to pass, the driver’s survival space was maintained very well and the “frontal and side curtain airbags worked well together to keep the head from coming close to any stiff structure or outside objects that could cause injury.”

If a XT5 ever rolls over, know that the roof can withstand up to 19,840 pounds (9,000 kilograms), that’s enough to support an overturned Cadillac XT5 Luxury 4WD which weighs 4,267 pounds (1,935 kilograms).

IIHS has even uploaded a video of the XT5's small overlap crash test.

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 03:34 PM

Wow those airbags reacted extremely quickly. The dummy driver barely moved at all.

Would like to know how the footwell area held up though
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill View Post
Wow those airbags reacted extremely quickly. The dummy driver barely moved at all.

Would like to know how the footwell area held up though
Well yeah, what are you going to expect? When do you want them to react?
How fast they react is an industry standard for obvious reasons. It's the most insignificant thing to be analyzing here.

Instead what should be pulled from this is what isn't obvious to everyone that knows what safety features cars typically have and the logic behind it, and that is how well the XT5's body and overall structure took on the impact...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 06:03 PM

I assume cars are tested in the crash range before final production occurs. Gives them ample time to bring anything lacking up to code.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacFan View Post
Well yeah, what are you going to expect? When do you want them to react?
How fast they react is an industry standard for obvious reasons. It's the most insignificant thing to be analyzing here.

Instead what should be pulled from this is what isn't obvious to everyone that knows what safety features cars typically have and the logic behind it, and that is how well the XT5's body and overall structure took on the impact...
Sorry, I don't look at crash tests all day...

But overall I think it took it quite well crumple wise... can I have your take on it ?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill View Post
Sorry, I don't look at crash tests all day...

But overall I think it took it quite well crumple wise... can I have your take on it ?
It's not a matter of looking and analyzing crash tests all day, it's simple logic and anyone here with the mental capacity to generate the sort of income that allows them to afford an XT5 should be able to figure that out. It's like when you shout fire, everybody runs.

The fact the A Pillar wasn't compromised is good news to me, that's what I mainly look for in these frontal impact tests.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cadillac XT5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page